Saturday, October 4, 2014

Blog Post #7

Blocks spelling out learn

How do we all become learners?
Before this class, I had little to no experience with Project Based Learning. We did projects throughout school, but the project always came after the lesson had been taught. Projects were never used as the actual teaching method. I hope to be able to incorporate everything I have learned about Project Based Learning into my classroom as much as possible. After EDM310, I am confident that I will have the skills and knowledge necessary to implement this style of teaching. As far as personal strengths go, I have always had a creative personality. I enjoy coming up with new projects and ideas, which will be extremely helpful for the Project Based Learning method. My greatest weakness is probably the way in which I ask questions. I have a tendency to ask closed-ended questions rather than open-ended questions. In order to be an effective teacher, I need to be able to present my students with engaging questions. There is always room for improvement, and I am eager to learn new things to better myself as an educator.

Video Summaries

How to make an Audio QR code
QR code
In this video, Michele Bennett explains how to create a QR code. This skill is new to me, and I was surprised at how simple the process actually is. She discusses how Kindergarten teachers use QR codes in their classroom for reading purposes. The teachers record themselves reading a story, and the children are able to listen the story before going into their reading groups.

iPad Centers
From this video, I learned a new way the ipad can be used in a classroom. Students can record themselves reading, and then they can play it back to catch any mistakes they may have made. This is a great tool to help students improve their reading fluency, and I hope to use this in my class.

Poplet as a Center
This video demonstrates one of the many tools that can be used for Project Based Learning, Poplet. Poplet is a free, downloadable app that allows students to create webs of information. Mrs. Tuck uses Poplet as a learning center to help students improve their reading and typing skills. This video is also a great example of how students are able to operate technology without a lot of instruction.

Alabama Virtual Library as a Kindergarten Center
The Alabama Virtual Library is a tool I am familiar with. We used AVL for many research projects throughout high school. From this video, I learned that it can also be used for elementary aged children. These kindergarten students have learned how to use AVL, and the teacher is able to give them topics to research. AVL is great for younger children, because it can read the information to them.

How to use and build a Board in Discovery Education for a Project Based Lesson and
In this video, Mrs. Shirley explains how her first grade class built a board using Discovery Education for their moon project. I have never heard of Board Builder prior to this video. I think this would be a great tool to use for student presentations and Project Based Lessons.

Sharing Board Builders Video 1 and Sharing Board Builders Video 2
In these videos, Mrs. Tassin's second grade students share the Board Builder projects they have created. The group in the first video explains The Haven in their Board Builder project, while the group in the second video explains what they have learned about whales. Board Builder is a great tool for any type of presentation.

iMovie icon
Using iMovie and the Alabama Virtual Library in Kindergarten
This video really proves how technologically literate elementary aged children are today. Michele Bennett discusses how kindergarteners at Gulf Shores Elementary are able to create trailers using iMovie. I think it is amazing that a five year old can learn and operate a new program so easily. Elizabeth Davis concludes the video by discussing the Alabama Virtual Library and how it is used. It's a safe, great resource that children can use for research.

We All Become Learners
In this video, I learned that Project Based Learning changes the dynamic of learning. Not only are teachers teaching students, but students are teaching each other and the teachers as well. I've learned that students can teach us just as much as we can teach them.

1 comment:

  1. Well MeLeah, you have most certainly done a bang up job on this post. I have nothing to add but applause and a bravo. I must say that I really appreciate your opinions on the Alabama Virtual Library. I believe that the strongest basis for education is a well read individual.

    ReplyDelete