Sunday, October 26, 2014

Blog Post #10

Technology Resources Word Web

What can we learn from Mrs. Cassidy?

Mrs. Cassidy has done a great job incorporating technology into the learning environment for her students. I think the technology based atmosphere really keeps the students engaged and excited to learn. From the video, Little Kids...Big Potential, I learned some new ways to use technology. For instance, Mrs. Cassidy uses iWiki and Skype with her students. This is a great way to show students how to connect with people all around the world and also to teach them about internet safety.

Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 1
In the first part of Mrs. Cassidy's interview, she explains how she got started using technology in her classroom. It is very inspiring to hear how she only started with five computers, but she has been able to come such a long way in the world of technology. Mrs. Cassidy also discussed how much her technology coordinator has helped her with the growth of technology in her classroom. With the tools and resources constantly changing, we need to be able to adapt as educators. I love how Mrs. Cassidy pointed out that we are handicapping our students by not taking advantage of the resources given today. I love how Mrs. Cassidy uses a blog for her classroom. This is something I definitely want to incorporate when I become a teacher.

Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 2
In the second part of Mrs. Cassidy's interview, she explains how to get started using technology and how it can be beneficial to your Personal Learning Network. She says, "Find something that interests you." This makes the process more exciting if you are interested and eager to use the technology. I think Twitter is a great way to expand my PLN. I use Twitter all the time for my personal life, and I can see how it would be useful in my professional life. Through Twitter, you are able to be connected to the world and access information so easily. I know that I will take full advantage of Twitter, Blogger, and other great tools for my classroom someday.

Interview with Kathy Cassidy Part 3
In the final part of Mrs. Cassidy's interview, she answers various questions asked by Dr. Strange and previous EDM310 students. I'm glad one of the students asked about web safety. As a teacher, it is our responsibility to keep our students safe while they are under our care. I think it is very smart how Mrs. Cassidy teaches her students to only use their last names. It seems like she has done a great job teaching her students how to navigate the web in a safe way. I can see how some people would have concerns with children using the internet, but I think teaching them how to be "internet safe" will minimize those concerns. I will definitely go over the "do's" and "don'ts" of the internet with my students.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very organized and well-written post! You also make a lot of very good points. It is definitely inspiring to see how far Mrs. Cassidy has come with technology. She really understands the importance and benefits of using technology in the classroom. The idea of a PLN is also very important. Twitter is definitely a great way to get started. I never realized before this class how helpful Twitter can be to our professional lives. Great post!

    ReplyDelete