Sunday, October 12, 2014

Implications and Teaching Opportunities for Camera Use in Teaching and Learning

Smartphone

Part A
The data listed in the Zogby Analytics Study was not surprising to me at all. I felt that the data was a very accurate description regarding people ages 18-24. Having a smart phone is almost expected in our society today. It has become the new normal. I will admit that I fall into the "87% say their smartphone never leaves their side" category. I check my iPhone right when I wake up in the morning, carry it all throughout the day, and check it before I go to bed each night. With social media being as prominent as it is today, it didn't surprise me that many others have their smartphones by their side at all times. I am also part of the 91% of people who believe having a camera on their smartphone is important. I use my camera just about everyday. The quality of a smartphone camera is basically the same as a real camera, so it is very convenient to have a phone and camera all in one. It is no wonder our world has become so infatuated with our smartphones because of all the different ways they can be used. Whether we need to make a phone call, take a picture, send a text message, write an email, or search the internet, we have the ability right at our fingertips 24/7 with a smartphone.

People have different opinions on the implications for education, school, teachers, and learners using smartphones. I believe that smartphones, or any form of technology, has the potential to be very beneficial in an academic way. The world is becoming more and more technology based whether we like it or not, so why try and fight it? There are so many ways we can use smartphones to enhance a child's learning capability. The educational apps and tools available on smartphones are endless. I think it is important as educators to embrace these tools and use them to our advantage in the curriculum to help our students be the best they can be.

Part B
I think incorporating technology into the curriculum is almost necessary to keep children engaged today. Kids love iPads and smartphones just as much as adults do. When children are engaged, they are learning. This is why I feel so strongly about technology in the classroom. There are endless possibilities with the things you can do on a smartphone or iPad in the classroom. For example, you can have the students record themselves reading with the camera on an iPad. They can play it back for themselves to hear and improve their reading skills by following along and taking note of their errors. Another tool I have learned about in this course is Board Builders. I think all children enjoy doing hands-on activities and projects, and Board Builders is a great resource to use for any subject. Through Board Builders, students are able to organize and create a project using the information they have found. I also think that technology is essential to any Project Based Learning curriculum. Students are able to come up with their own research with an iPad or smartphone. Overall, I believe the use of technology has the potential to have a very positive impact on education.

No comments:

Post a Comment