Sunday, November 9, 2014

C4T #3

Mr. Mike Kaechele
Mr. Kaechele "Concrete Classroom"


Comment 1: How to Get Students to Own their Learning.
Mr. Mike Kaechele is a high school Social Studies teacher in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He is a strong supporter of Project Based Learning, and he wants his students to be in the driver's seat of their education. The first post of Mr. Kaechele's that I commented on was about how we can help our students take control of their own learning. He discusses "The Water Project," which is a project he did with his class, and you can read about it here. So, how do we get our students to own their learning? Mr. Kaechele says, "Challenge them with real work for real people for a real purpose." He believes we, as teachers, should get out of the way and allow our students to take control. In my comment, I introduced myself and talked about EDM310. I thanked him for sharing his project, and I also discussed how important it is to have meaningful projects. I explained how much we are learning through EDM310 about Project Based Learning, and I expressed how much I enjoyed looking over his project and blog.

Comment 2: #MyParty14 Results
Mr. Kaechele's students participated in a project dealing with the political process. Each student created their own political party based on issues that mattered to them. You can read all about the project here. The top ten commercials of the school were shown to local congressmen, along with a stump speech. Mr. Kaechele's students came in second place for the statewide competition, but his class was able to get excited about politics and issues that matter. In my comment, I told Mr. Kaechele how much I enjoyed reading the post and watching his students' commercials and speeches. I also shared that it was a great way to get students excited and involved in the political process. I explained how I would have loved to do something like this when I was in school. I thought this project was a great way for Mr. Kaechele to show his students that they do have a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment