Sunday, November 16, 2014

Blog Post #13

Instructions

What educational apps are available to us as teachers? In EDM310, we have thoroughly discussed the benefits of iPads in the classroom. Find at least five educational apps for the grade you desire to teach, and summarize them in your blog post. Answer the question in a post that adheres to the standards found in the ACCRS and in Writing A Quality Blog Post.

My Post

Kindergarten

My dream job is to teach Kindergarten. I think Kindergarten is a great age, because they are so eager to learn. Assuming I will have iPad access in my classroom, I hope to have a center set up where my students can play and learn from different apps. Thanks to Top Ten Kindergarten Apps for Little Learners and this blog post, I have discovered many new apps available for Kindergarten students. I will summarize my favorites below.

1) Sight Words List- Learn to Read Flash Cards and Games
I will definitely be using this app in my classroom. It allows you to create your own word list for flashcards, and it also provides pre-made, age appropriate lists. In Kindergarten, children are learning to read and focus on sight words. With this app, students would be able to improve their reading skills at their own pace.

2) Word Wagon
This is another app that will improve reading skills. It is a game where animated animals reinforce spelling words visually and verbally. It deals with phonics and combining different letters to make new sounds. I had never heard of this app before, but I think Kindergarteners would love it. It's a fun game for them to play, and they learn something along the way!

3) Teach Me: Kindergarten
Teach Me: Kindergarten is a fun app specifically designed for Kindergarteners. The purpose is to enhance early math and spelling skills. This app offers age appropriate learning activities, where the kids can earn "rewards" for correct answers. I researched this app, and it has great reviews. I think this would be a great app for my Kindergarteners to use.

4) Grow Your Garden
Grow Your Garden is an adorable app where students can work on their mental addition and subtraction skills. In order for your garden to grow, you must correctly answer different addition and subtraction problems. When a plant receives enough water, it moves to a virtual garden to keep track of the child's progress. I think this app would be a very fun and engaging way for students to learn math.

5) Toca Store
Toca Store is an interactive game that teaches children about spending money. Students are able to put their playful imaginations to the test and create their own virtual store. Through this app, they are able to be creative and work on their math skills at the same time.

3 comments:

  1. Great assignment MeLeah! You could learn a lot from this assignment by looking up apps you could use in your future classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt Gomez is a kindergarten teacher in Texas who does amazing things with technology in his classroom. I would love to go and see his classroom in action - I know that I would learn so much. If you are interested - http://mattbgomez.com/category/ipad/ -- check out his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "to Top Ten Kindergarten Apps for Little Learners and this..." The link does not work. You are missing the colon after http in the URL

    Good idea. Well done.

    ReplyDelete