Sunday, September 14, 2014

Project #15

Computer Search Engines

Search Engines

WolframAlpha
I have never heard of WolframAlpha before, so I was interested to find out about this search engine. I did some searching on the site, and I have come to the conclusion that is is mainly useful for mathematics and science related problems. You can type in mathematical functions, and it will compute the problem for you instantly. I wish I had known about this site throughout high school, but I will definitely be using it in the future.

Bing
Bing is a popular search engine, and it is very similar to Google. It is a good search engine for everyday use. You can search pretty much anything on this site, and a large amount of information will be available to you. I personally like this search engine because it is easy to use, and I feel comfortable with the information's credibility.

Yahoo!
Yahoo! is another common search engine. It is useful for many topics and questions. It is also easy to use and provides plenty of information. I have used this search engine before, and I would recommend it to everyone.

Bloglines
Bloglines is a new search engine that I came across today. It is a great resource for local blogs, news, and events. It is a fast way to find and track websites and blogs. I have never used this site before, but I think it is an interesting tool that I may find useful in the future.

Ask
Ask is a site somewhat similar to Google, Bing, and Yahoo. You can search practically anything and an answer will be given to you. It is more of a Q&A site. In my opinion, this site does not provide credible answers. You never know if the information given is accurate or inaccurate. I do not trust this site enough to use for my academics, therefore I try to avoid using this search engine unless absolutely necessary.

WOW
WOW is a search engine enhanced by Google, which means they have the same searching techniques. It does a lot of the same things as Google, but I don't think I will be using this site. It doesn't seem as credible as other search engines that I am accustomed to using. I think this site is okay for basic questions, but it should not be used for academic purposes.

Dictionary
Dictionary is one of my favorite search engines. It gives you definitions, examples, and word origin. It also gives you access to a thesaurus. It is very user friendly. You simply type a word in the search box, and information about the word appears. I always use this site when working on a paper or anything school related.

RefSeek
RefSeek is an academic search engine, which means the sources are credible. This site is very useful for writing papers or doing research for a class. It provides a large amount of feedback, which is necessary for certain topics. I highly recommend this search engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment