Thursday, September 4, 2014

Blog Post #3

How Can I Provide Meaningful Feedback to My Peers?

Peer editing is a great way to receive positive feedback and helpful hints on assignments. Throughout elementary school and most of high school, I hated peer editing. I thought it was pointless, because I did not understand how beneficial it could actually be. I didn't realize how helpful peer editing could be until I reached my senior year of high school. During my senior year, I was in a dual enrollment English class where we had to write a paper each week. We were able to let fellow classmates read and review our papers before we turned them in to the teacher to be graded. I proofread every paper myself, but there would always be at least one mistake that I didn't catch. Luckily, the person reviewing my paper would usually point out the mistake and make corrections. Peer editing made me a much better writer, and I think it is very important for students to learn this skill at a young age.

In the video, What is Peer Editing?, I learned that each review should contain compliments, suggestions, and corrections. By starting off with a compliment, it lessens the harshness of suggestions and corrections. For example, "That is an absolutely terrible word choice" is not the right way to correct someone. It would come across much better if you say, "Your first paragraph was great, but if you use a different word choice in the second sentence it will be even better!" I believe we will be able to provide meaningful feedback in EDM 310 on blog posts, activities, and projects of our fellow classmates now that we have watched this video. The Peer Edit With Perfection Tutorial really reinforced what was said in the video mentioned above. It discussed how peer editing is beneficial because it helps you improve, revise, and edit your work. For peer editing to be successful, students must know that there is a right and a wrong way to give someone feedback. Writing Peer Review Top Ten Mistakes shows all of the ways peer reviewing could go wrong. For example, peer reviewing turns into a mess if someone is overly picky, doesn't care about the process, can't provide suggestions in a kind way, or cannot take constructive criticism. If done correctly, peer editing can be a very powerful and helpful tool. I think providing feedback to each other through our blog posts will be very beneficial in this class.

Uncle Sam wants YOU for Peer Feedback

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with you in High School peer editing was hard to do. Not all of the students were helpful and cared as much as I did for the A grade. Now in College It has been a real beneficial tool for me. Thanks for Sharing your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post MeLeah! Peer editing is a great tool for students to get meaningful feedback from their peers. As you pointed out it is beneficial because it gives student opportunities to catch mistakes we overlook. Furthermore, it helped you become a better writer because which is critical to academic success. Peer editing is beneficial to both parties because it helps students become critical thinkers and better learners.

    ReplyDelete